Here’s how to renew your
Healthfirst health insurance coverage.
Many health plans now require you to renew your plan each year in order to keep your health coverage and we’re here to help you every step of the way. We can help make sure you don’t go even one day without the coverage you need for doctor visits, prescriptions, and more. Here’s what you need to do.
Step 1: See if you need to renew.
You will if you have one of these plans:
- Essential Plan
- Child Health Plus
- Personal Wellness Plan (HARP)
- Medicare Advantage Dual-Eligible Plan
- Managed Long-Term Care
Step 2: Know your renewal date.
Not everyone’s will be the same. You can find yours on the Healthfirst mobile app and member portal. Or you can call us, and we can help you figure it out. See the chart below and call the number that applies to your specific Healthfirst plan.
If we find your renewal date is coming up shortly, we can make an appointment for you to speak with your Healthfirst Sales Rep, who can help you renew your plan.
Keep in mind that your completed application is due before your plan ends, and that different plans have different deadlines:
• If you are enrolled through NYSOH, your application is due the 15th of the month before your plan’s end date. (For example, if your plan ends January 31, your application would be due January 15.)
• If you are enrolled through HRA or LDSS, your paper application is due more than a month before your plan’s end date, on the 10th of that month. (For example, if your plan ends January 31, your paper application is due December 10.)
Step 3: Watch your mail or email.
You’ll receive a notice before your renewal date. Depending on what plan you have, the notice will come from either New York State of Health (NYSOH), the Human Resources Administration (HRA), or your Local Department of Social Services (LDSS). (Medicare members who don’t get a form in the mail, call My Advocate at 1-877-218-5188 (TTY: 1-855-368-9643) for assistance.)
Healthfirst will also reach out to you by mail, email, SMS text, or phone to make sure you don’t miss your Healthfirst plan renewal date.
Please note: If you received a paper renewal packet in the mail at two different times, New York State and CMS advise you to complete, sign, and return both renewal applications in order to keep your coverage active.
Make sure your current mailing address, phone number, and email address are up to date so you can be reached. Either:
• Call NY State of Health at 1-855-355-5777 (TTY: 1-800-662-1220) or log into your account at nystateofhealth.ny.gov
• Contact New York City’s Human Resources Administration or your county’s Medicaid office
• Log into the Healthfirst mobile app or your member portal at MyHFNY.org
Step 4: Renew your Coverage.
For help renewing, call Healthfirst at one of the numbers in the chart below (based on your current plan) or visit us at one of our Community Offices.
Child Health Plus
Personal Wellness Plan
Medicare Advantage with Medicaid
Medicare Savings Program
CompleteCare (HMO D-SNP)
Senior Health Partners (MLTC)
Please note: If you received a paper renewal packet in the mail, you can either return the application in the mail or renew online. In New York City, online renewal is through ACCESS HRA. Outside of New York City, renewal is through the mobile app NYDocSubmit
Healthfirst Mobile Units
These units will be open 9:00am – 4:00pm ET on the days noted through December 31:
9 South 4th, Mount Vernon
Monday to Friday
50 West Broad Street, Haverstraw
139 Wickham Avenue, Middletown
6301 8th Ave
Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays Fridays
161 Dyckman Street
1725 Dutch Broadway, Elmont
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays
1805 5th Ave, Bayshore
Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays
45th Ave & Broadway, Elmhurst
Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays
If you prefer to renew on your own, be sure to follow the directions in your renewal notice.
Your eligibility can change from year to year based on income, dependents, and more.
For example, if you’re on Medicare, new rules mean you can now have a higher income and be eligible for the Medicare Savings Program. That can save you a lot of money, so call Healthfirst and see if you qualify.
Have any required documents handy.
Some plans require extra documents for renewal. You may need to have:
• Immigration documents (if any information has changed) such as a U.S. passport, a permanent resident card, employment authorization, etc.
• Proof of household income such as most recent paystubs (four if you’re paid weekly, two if you’re paid biweekly), your current signed income tax return and all schedules if self-employed, a letter from your employer, unemployment award letter, etc.
• Family information (if any information has changed) such as birth dates, Social Security numbers, birth certificate, passport, or permanent resident card
• Last bank statement
• Social Security award and pension award letter (if applicable)
Renewal Frequently Asked Questions
Coverage is provided by Healthfirst PHSP, Inc.
Healthfirst complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.